Which types of insurance you’ll need in the Netherlands

Personal liability

In the Netherlands, many people take out a so-called Aansprakelijkheidsverzekering, AVP (Personal liability) With this liability insurance you are covered against damages that you have caused (unintentionally) to other parties and that you must compensate. You are responsible for any damages you do to another person by Dutch law – it does not matter if this was by accident or by mistake. You can however, protect yourself for these damages by taking out a liability insurance. In this way you protect yourself against financial compensation for those damages. Your liability insurance company will deal with a claim if you unintentionally cause damage to another person.


Household content

The insurance covers damage to your household contents in the home. The damage must be sudden and unforeseen.The cover is dependent on the choice which you have made. Maximum insured sums apply to your valuable household contents.These covarage amounts are stated on your policy.

Coverage :

– fire, lightening or explosion;
– storm;
– theft;
– vandalism or terrorism;
– armed robbery;
– breakdown of a refrigerator or deep-freeze, causing spoilage of the contents;
– precipitation or overflowing water

Home Insurance

Home insurance (woonhuisverzekering) is not compulsory in the Netherlands but it is required when taking out a mortgage when you buy a property. A standard home insurance policy covers fire, storm, flood, and theft. In terms of flood coverage, policies distinguish between rainwater damage (which is covered) and damage due to dike failures (which is not covered). In some cases, concessions may be available from the government.

Car insurances

By law, you must have at least third-party insurance (WA-verzekering) for your car. This covers you against any damage or injury to others caused by your vehicle.

In the Netherlands, insurance policies cover the car rather than the driver. This means that anyone with a valid driving license can legally drive your car. However, the person whose name is on the insurance remains legally responsible for any damage.

If you want to increase your level of car insurance, you can opt for a limited extension (WA Plus) which will cover your vehicle against damages caused by theft, vandalism, fire, storms or collisions with animals. For comprehensive coverage, there is the all risk policy (allriskverzekering) which covers all damage even if it was your fault.

As with many European countries, insurance costs will be cheaper if you are considered a lower risk driver (based on factors such as driving history, age, and experience). If you are eligible for a no claims discount, you can save as much as 70% on insurance costs.

If you are involved in an accident in the Netherlands, make sure that you:

get the contact and insurance details of the other driver;
get the names and contact details of any witnesses to the accident; and
fill out a European Accident Statement form and send it to your insurer.
If you move to the Netherlands from another EU country, you can use your existing insurance policy for as long as it remains valid, as long as the coverage provided is equivalent to Dutch insurance coverage and your foreign insurer allows it.

Geef een reactie